Monday, February 5, 2007

My Ant Habitat

.___________Ant Habitat____________.

"ANTS ARE SPECIAL. THEY LIVE IN LARGE GROUPS CALLED COLONIES. THERE ARE AT LEAST 20,000 KINDS OF ANTS THROUGHOUT THE WORLD.

THE ANT'S HOME:

THE QUEEN LAYS HER EGGS AND IS FED BY THE WORKERS IN HER CHAMBER. THIS CHAMBER IS USED FOR THE CARE AND FEEDING OF THE LARVAE. THAT ROOM IS USED FOR THE CARE OF THE PUPAE INSIDE THEIR COCOONS. WORKER ANTS REST IN A CHAMBER."* ________________..

my ants

MY ANTS HAVE BEEN WORKING VERY HARD ON THEIR TUNNELS.
ONE SIDE THE TUNNELS ARE REALLY DEEP. THE OTHER SIDE, THE TUNNELS ARE A LITTLE SHORT.

MOM SAYS THE DIRT BITS THAT THEY'VE BEEN TAKING OUT OF THEIR TUNNELS TO BUILD LOOK CRYSTALIZED.

MY ANTS ARE CUTE. WE PUT PEANUTS, LETTUCE, APPLE SEED, AND POPCORN, I'm sure the short tunnels will change.

There's a food pit. They move popcorn bits. the DEEP TUNNELS ARE connected. And the small tunnels have changed. They are getting big, with rooms on the ends. And there's a tunnel connecting to a chamber with rooms. I gave them an apple piece for being such good ants. I love my ants. We put drops of water in my farm. They will dig more tunnels. I'm glad my ants are alive. My ants all belong to one colony, with a red stripe on their last part. I love my ants. .................................................................
* Read and dictated from The New Thorndike Barnhart Children's Dictionary, p. 25A.